Tuesday, March 17, 2009

You Asked For It (Seventy Three Times)









Hello all,

This post mainly serves the purpose of appeasing my parents' weekly requests to see my apartment.  I have spoken to them just about every weekend since I got here almost eight months ago, and I don't think they failed to ask about those gosh darn pictures.  Unfortunately, my place hits its peak of disrepair on the weekends; I then talk to my parents, clean the place the next day, and forget to photo it.  This cycle repeated dozens of times, and I recently told them that if I put photos up, it would mean that I had a girlfriend.  This is indeed not the case at the moment, but the more tangible prospect for that of late is undoubtedly a factor in my desire to not live like I typically would.  So, there's some good stories that have surfaced recently, but not all of them should be posted on here.  Feel free to inquire.  In the meantime, take a look at my place and ask questions about any peculiar items you may notice in the place.  I'm not going to make a running inventory of the apartment just yet.  Finally, the last picture is a bonus to illustrate some of my frustrations while driving.  Since when is it OK to blatantly cut across three lanes of a shopping center entrance BEHIND A CAR that is waiting to leave and IN FRONT OF A CAR (moped) that is pulling up behind it?

Edit: I should note that I am not an ideal driver, either.  Jonathan left a comment a few posts back, so here's a chance to reply to it.  He saw the picture of all the students with the identical helmets.  The helmets are in fact made by a variety of companies, but the students are required to get full-face white helmets to which they then apply colored stickers that indicate their grade.  They are easily identifiable when out in public.  My helmet is also white, but I don't need any fancy racing-stripe-like decoration.  This is my second helmet; my first one was cool and black.  Bike helmets are designed to take some hits, but once they do, the integrity is compromised and a new one is advisable.  So, yes, I have had one accident.  I was getting into the swing of driving and was mildly lost looking for a convenience store.  I pulled into a wide, empty intersection and decided to take the chance to look around for signs of a store.  I took my eyes off the road for a full two or three seconds.  When you drive something that turns based on how you distribute your weight, turning your head and shoulders leads your body in the opposite direction.  I looked back to the road, and realized I was a half second from hitting the curved part where a curb begins.  I may have been able to swerve out of the way.  Instead, I literally thought to myself, "it's like a video game; ramp it".  I indeed ramped it.  I then crashed to the ground and collapsed.  I was scratched a little and my headlight was busted, and that was all.  The noise was formidable and I decided to take the opportunity to make some locals feel a little off-put.  Some gas station attendants witnessed the whole thing, and it turned out I needed some gas.  So I walked my unskilled self over, and they stared at me.  I said "fill it up, please!", to which they could only say, "OK...uh...but...are you OK?"  So that's that.

Bye, America!

9 comments:

S said...

OK, consider us appeased! Thank you for the photos of your apartment; they sure are gosh darned nice! Hope all is well, we'll talk to you soon!

Eric said...

I didn't think that closed and resting outside the freezer was one of the possible states for a bottle of Jagermeister.

Chris said...

Rest assured, Eric, that bottle has been close to empty for a long time and spent most of its life in the freezer. I got my summer schedule today, so we should talk soon. May and July are the best times, tentatively.

TheFatherImage said...

And I finally got to see it too! Thank you! So what did I notice immediately? The Frisbees hanging in a very nice row, ready for action. Also, though I'm sure you will think this very "American": the apartment doesn't look real "Japanese" -- except that the tub looks VERY short! All in all, very nice.

I'll try to post more here now that I got a name. It's great seeing these things. And thanks again for the post!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

my word verification this time was "skine". i think i'm going to incorporate it into everyday use...

skine (skahyn) v. - the act of snapping one's spine while skiing

Sonny skined himself when he lost control and slammed into a tree.

n. - a broken spine cause by a skiing accident

Mr. Bono never expected a skine to be his demise.

Chris said...

Brian, your sample sentences lack creativity. After the Mr. Bono example, I was totally gearing up for a Michael Kennedy allusion in my mind. This is the kind of quality I would expect from other unnamed roommates, particularly Mike.

Unknown said...

hahah so true. mike is the worst.

Unknown said...

Nice place. Unfortunately real life is not like GTA, where you can drive however you want. Although as I was reading I completely expected you to say that you pulled a double backflip and landed it with ease. Completely possible on a moped of course